The Local Government Department's responsibilities are as follows :
- To manage financial assistance to local authorities including allocation of grants to implement development projects and the award of annual grants from the Federal Government;
- To provide assistance in terms of policy and guidelines as well advisory service to local Authorities that relate to the security and stability of buildings;
- To implement programmes that promote awareness of environmental health and hygiene and to coordinate public health initiatives with local authorities;
- To enact laws, policies and circulars that have been approved by the Cabinet and the National Council on Local Government;
- To promote the development of new villages by providing infrastructural and socio-economic facilities; and
- To coordinate programmes implemented by the Local Government Department and provide computer-based information systems related to local authorities.