[EN] Concept of Local Government
The definition of Local Government is based on the following laws:
- Local Government Act 1976 (Act 171) - Local Governments in Peninsular Malaysia. Section 2 of the Act provides that "Local Authority"Ã‚Â means any City Council, Municipal Council or District Council, in relation to the Federal Territory it means the commissioner of the City of Kuala Lumpur as being stated under section 3 of the Federal Capital Act 1960.
- 2. Local Government Ordinance 1961 (Sarawak No.11 of 1996) - Local Government in Sarawak "Local Authorit" means - (a) A city Administration named in Part I of the First Schedule; (b) A Municipal Council named in part II of the first Schedule; (c) A District Council named in part III of the First Schedule; Bintulu Development Authority (BDA) has also included in the above-mentioned sub-section (b).
- 3.Local Authority Ordinance 1996 (Chapter 20) - Local Government in Sabah. "Authority" means any District Council, Town Board or Municipal Council established under the provisions of Section 3.
The Concept of Local Government
- To study, review and propose amendments to the Local Government Act 1976 (Act 171) and its subsidiary legislations.
- To propose revisions on the jurisdiction of local authorities in other Acts and regulations related to local authorities.
- To co-ordinate policies or disciplinary actions upon administrative staff within local authorities.
- To revise existing and formulate new legislations (Acts and Subsidiary Legislation).
- To prepare circulars and guidelines related to Local Governments.
- To prepare feedback/input with regard to the role and functions of local authorities based on requests by other agencies.
- To study and process application on upgrading and expansion of respective local authority areas as proposed by State Governments in accordance with the Local Government Act 1976 (Act 171) and relevant Policies.