Vision, Mission, Function & Client's Charter
Building competitive, dynamic, and sustainable Local Authorities that provide high quality urban services
To provide Local Authorities with the required support and assistance in improving quality management and developing the culture of good governance
To guide and encourage Local Authorities (LAs) in the regulation and implementation of local government policies, rules, and guidelines that support socioeconomic growth and to increase effective municipal services with the goal of establishing a thriving, developed society
To ensure that LAs contribute actively and effectively in the growth of their municipal areas through the implementation of infrastructure projects for the betterment of the public and local community
To make sure that the LAs are effective and capable in terms of administration and finances, enabling them to deliver high-quality services for the benefit and well-being of local residents under their respective administration
We are committed to constantly enhancing our quality management system to fulfil all quality objectives and to maintain it relevant, consistent, and efficient in line with the vision and mission of the Local Government Department.
POLICY COORDINATION AND MONITORING
Conveying directives on the implementation of local government policies and legislations to the Local Authorities.
Notification to Local Authorities (LAs) - Less than 1 month.
MANAGEMENT PROVISIONS AND MONITORING OF DEVELOPMENTS
- The deadline to submit proposals and projects/programmes for the coming year in all State Secretary Offices / Local Authorities / Village Development Officers - on or before 1 SEPTEMBER of every year.
- Time taken to inform State Secretary Offices/local authorities/Village Development Officers on the list of projects approved by the Secretary General of MHLG - 7 WORKING DAYS after approval.
- Time taken to issue a decision to any application of minor changes to a project / programme already approved - not exceeding 10 WORKING DAYS from the date of application received by the Local Government Department.
- The duration to submit memos to the Department's Finance Unit for the issuance of warrants/cheques to local authorities through State Secretary Offices/State Development Offices/Federal Development Departments - not exceeding 7 WORKING DAYS from the date of acceptance of the warrant application from the local authority (provided the particulars in the application complies with procurement criteria and procedure prerequisites).
- The frequency of project/programme monitoring meetings with State Secretary Offices/local authorities /Village Development Officers on the progress of projects and the monitoring of problematic projects - AT LEAST TWICE A YEAR.
- The frequency of checking and updating physical and financial project performance reports and the preparation of projects by state reports - EVERY MONTH.
- The duration taken from the point of acceptance of the Work Completion Statement (accompanied by all necessary supporting documents) to the time of cheque application for New Village Development Project payment submitted to the Department's Finance Unit - not exceeding 10 WORKING DAYS.
TECHNICAL AND NON-TECHNICAL ADVISORY MANAGEMENT SERVICE
- The duration to initiate visual inspection on structural failure - not exceeding 7 WORKING DAYS from the date of the incident being reported.
- The duration to propose an action plan to ascertain the root cause of the failure - 5 WORKING DAYS after the receipt of full feedback from the local authority.
- The duration to reply to any complaint or request for advisory service;
- Giving feedback to complainant - 5 WORKING DAYS from the acceptance of complaint.
- If reference is needed (from professional bodies/external agencies / local authorities) - 5 WORKING DAYS from acceptance of complaint.
PROCEDURE FOR SUPPORT
- The duration to notify the receipt of complaint /enquiries to the customer - not exceeding 3 WORKING DAYS from date of receipt.
- The duration to inform the Department staff on their course/training application, at the latest, 4 DAYS before the closing date of the course applied for.
- The issuance of Local Order to not exceed 4 DAYS from the date of receipt of FORM P1 in accordance with finance rules in force.
- The duration to inform decisions of meeting to members of the meeting - 3 WORKING DAYS after the meeting,